ACL wants to help our members enhance their teaching by encouraging them to travel, take courses, attend professional meetings, and engage in professional development that is concerned with Latin, Greek and the ancient world where these languages prevailed.
Our scholarships honor some of the past leaders of the organization:
Glenn Knudsvig, Arthur Patch McKinlay, Maureen O’Donnell and Ed Phinney.
Donations to the ACL Scholarship fund are always welcome.
- ACL members at all levels of teaching are eligible to apply
- Must be a member of ACL for at least 3 consecutive years, including this current year and the two preceding years. Undergraduate students, graduate students and new teachers with less than 3 years experience are exempt from the requirement of three consecutive years of membership.
- ACL scholarship recipients may apply every 4 years
- Registration, room, board and travel for attendance at ACL Institute
- Purchase of materials from the ACL Teaching Materials and Resource Center
- Expenses connected with enrollment in classes required for Latin Certification
- Bona fide summer study programs at home or abroad
N.B.: Please be aware the ACL will not support participation in programs of the Paideia Institute. See our public statement of October 10.
- Awards range from $250 - $2000
All applications will have an equal chance to receive funding. The Scholarship Committee wants to ensure that funding is available for attendance at Institute once pricing is announced March 1.
The application form is a fillable form which you can download. After you have completed the application you may attach as an email and send to the ACL Office.
POST-SCHOLARSHIP PROJECT REPORT
Complete the Scholarship Report form by September 15 and send your receipts to the ACL Office. Both steps are needed for reimbursement.
Please upload a picture or two that we can share!
MEET ONE OF OUR SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
Name: Amelia Lodato
School Name: Nutley High School
School State: NJ
# of years you've taught: 7
# of years as an ACL member: 3
# of years as a JCL or SCL member: 2
Please describe how the program funded by the Scholarship benefited you and your students:
I am so grateful to ACL for giving me this scholarship. I used the scholarship money to attend the 2018 ACL Institute in Montana, which I would not have been able to afford otherwise, and I learned so much from friendly and wise Latin teachers, and I also was able to present a workshop on Digital Breakouts - my first one, and an experience I was so grateful to have. I made so many personal and professional connections during the institute. By attending the workshops, I learned about how to incorporate a practical and research-based reading and writing curriculum that is accessible to my students. I also learned that Latin is so much more than grammar and how best to inculcate a love of reading. Attending this institute reminded me why my job as a Latin teacher matters, that there are tools and methods out there to make me a more effective teacher, and that it can be done even with multiple preps. I learned so much more about CI that it has inspired me to seek out more workshops and professional development so I can instill a love of the classics in my students. I can't wait to start in September and experiment with new techniques in my classroom! Maximās gratiās vōbīs agō!